Friday, August 27, 2010

4 Purchased Sale Items - Haul/Review

Okay so these are the products I bought when I went shopping with Cathy on Wednesday.

- L'Oreal Gentle Make-Up Remover for Eyes & Lips
- Revlon Matte Powder Blush in 001 Rose Rapture
- Maybelline Pulse Perfection Waterproof Mascara in Very Black
- Pupa Eyeshadow Compact Eyeshadow Duo (Pale Pink and Crimson)

First item I want to talk about is the L'Oreal Gentle Make-Up Remover. You might be aware, I have included in my Mini Blog Sale the Neutrogena Oil-Free Eye Make-Up Remover. As good as the Neutrogena remover removes eye make-up, it just wasn't the right product for me. Having sensitive skin including senstive eyes was the reason why this product didn't suit me at all. I needed to purchase a new eye make-up remover that stated that it was suitable for sensitive skin. I asked Cathy and she recommended the L'Oreal one.

Just perfect!

As you can see, there are two distinct layers in the solution. On the back of the bottle it says:

the dark layer, rich in gentle oils, effectively removes waterproof and long-lasting make-up.
the light layer is a very gentle lotion which adds a pleasant sensation of freshness.

I won't make any comparisons with this and the Neutrogena make-up remover. Neutrogena one does say that it is dual-phase so it can remove very very tough make-up that probably wouldn't budge with regular removers. My Majolica Majorca mascara requires a dual-phase remover however, this L'Oreal one might do the job :) I'll have to wait and see. If it doesn't remove as well as the Neutrogena one, I promise that I won't complain.

Shake well before use until the colour is uniform

Priceline had 20% off all L'Oreal products so this was the perfect time to purchase this :D
Price = $9.83

PROS:
- doesn't irritate my eyes
- very gentle
- removes well
- great amount for the price (125mL)
- suitable for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers
- removes waterproof and long-lasting make-up
- snap lid is tight to decrease the likelihood of it opening accidentally
- portion control from the lid

CONS:
- snap lid is a bit hard to open
- not a lot of solution comes through the hole in the lid, have to apply a bit of force
- leaves a bit of greasy/oily film on the skin, but can be wiped off
- when opening the lid, a squirt of solution can come out
- need to shake it before every use

Overall Rating: 4/5
-1 for the lid

The best make-up remover in my opinion.. is a high-end product

Lancome Bi-Facil! I had a sample of this when my mum bought some Lancome things and got a gift pack. Sadly I've used it all up :(


It worked like a dream, it removed every trace of make-up on my face and caused no irritation whatsoever - it's for sensitive eyes :D I would love to purchase this product but I don't like the idea of using something this expensive just to remove make-up :(

Next item is the Revlon Matte Powder Blush in 001 Rose Rapture



The colour is a light pink and it's very subtle on the cheeks. It's not very pigmented and it's hard to do a swatch (it doesn't show up well on camera) however I'd still use this if I want a hint of pink on my cheeks. The texture isn't the best yet at the same time, it is very soft. I think it's good for the price that I paid.

Can you see the little black circle on the right next to the brush? If you're curious, check out what it does when I press it. Watch a video:


Sorry my camera's video quality sucks :( No focus, no where close to HD
I so need to buy a new one!

Or just check out this image to see what happened:

I like it! Very convenient

I tweeted about this and I was like wow when I found out what it did. It gave me quite a scare too. The mirror would stay quite clean and won't get all powdery from the blush as it is separated from it. At the front of the compact there's a window so that the blush can be seen. Love the packaging so much =]

In Priceline there are Revlon products that are selling for $4.95 each and this one was discounted to $9.95 which is a great price for a blush. Only this shade was discounted; unsure why. I saw the other shades of these Revlon blushes and they were full price at around $23 each!

PROS:
- compact is great, light and easy to store, sleek
- pressing a button to release the mirror is a great idea
- very soft blush
- case closes well
- sturdy plastic
- window at the front to see the shade of blush clearly
- brush sitting in the compartment
- soft brush with groove in the handle

CONS:
- not enough pigmentation, takes a few coats of blush applied to cheek for the colour to be evident (but could just be for this shade of blush, not all)
- expensive for drugstore blush - RRP $20+
- doesn't say how many grams of blush there is
- when button pressed, makes a very loud alarming noise when the mirror comes out - scares me!

Overall Rating: 3/5
-1 for the blush texture
-1 for blush pigmentation

Next item is the Maybelline Pulse Perfection Waterproof Mascara in Very Black


If you've never used or seen one of these mascaras before, this is briefly what it does. It is a vibrating/oscillating mascara that used a small installed battery and the oscillations are activated by pressing the button on the lid of the mascara wand (the gold part between my index finger and thumb) so it's up to you whether you choose to have the oscillations or not.

Close-up of the wand. It's the perfect size for me

When I apply this mascara onto my lower lashes, I tend to not turn on the oscillations because it gives me a tickling sensation haha. I like it on for my top lashes because it does the 7 things that it says it does:

7 must-haves of lash perfection
1 - Luscious Thickness
2 - Luxurious Length
3 - Smooth Separation
4 - Intense Color
5- Shapely Curve
6 - Healthy Luster
7 - Zero Clumps

Maybe I've experienced 5 or 6 out of the 7 but I can definitely see it working the way I want it to! It might not just be about the oscillation, it could be the formula and/or the brush.

If you want to hear what the buzzing noise sounds like, watch the video:


Lancome has an oscillting mascara too, but I definitely haven't tried it before. I only purchase drug-store make-up :) If you have tried it before, let me know what it's like and if it's any different to the Maybelline one.

Cathy pointed out the sale for this mascara! I am so grateful that she did :D I think the waterproof one only came out a few months ago (or less.. or more.. I don't know :[ But I do remember not seeing a waterproof version) which is great because then the formula inside would still be fairly new. On the ticketed price it said that this was originally $23.95 but I only got this for $12.50!! Girls, if you haven't tried this mascara before, I suggest you do.

PROS:
Umm.. pretty much everything!

CONS:
- no idea how to replace the battery if it runs out
BUT I asked Cathy about it and she said that a sales lady told her that by the time the battery runs out, the mascara would already be finished! Hahaha that sounds so true x)

Overall Rating: 5/5
I love it! This is now my favourite mascara, along with my Majolica Majorca

Last but not least, PUPA!


Pupa 50% off sale is still going on as it is a clearance sale. I don't think there will be new Pupa products coming into Priceline but I really hope so because that would be exciting :)

When I showed Cathy the inside of this eyeshadow, she was really surprised. I love how it has that effect on people x) I was like that too when I first opened it, all wide-eyed o_o

I decided to get this one because I think the colours are lovely. Here are the swatches:


I did a simple two-tone look with it and used the Maybelline Pulse Perfection Mascara :)

My lashes look longer than usual with this mascara. I don't see clumping :)

To add a more dramatic, bold effect to my eyes, I applied some false lashes.

I wish my lashes were actually this long!

Back to the Pupa eyeshadow, I really like it. The sponge applicator is so cute! The eyeshadows are very pigmented, shimmery and there doesn't need a be a lot of it when applying. A little goes a long way. And $7.50 is very cheap. I can understand why the recommended retail price for this item would be $15. Totally worth it.

PROS:
- very pigmented, especially the crimson one
- unique packaging
- handy mirror in the compact
- excellent for the price
- sturdy plastic
- a small brush can fit in the compact and sponge detached or kept on

CONS:
- bulky packaging, could be slimmer/smaller
- the handle of the brush sticks out of the compact
- sponge applicator is hard to use but can be used differently to the instructional way
- packaging doesn't look appealing, very plain

Overall Rating: 5/5
I can't say many bad things about it. The cons were just things that I'd be picky about. I recommend this for anyone who likes duo eyeshadows that can blend easily.

I hope you enjoyed reading my first reviews on cosmetics products.
Thank you

xx Jennifer

8 comments:

  1. nice eyes and color girly! Great review and I also love the Maybelline Pulse Perfection Mascara. I'm on my second tube now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That blush is so pretty. It makes me want one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great reviews!!:D
    I wanna try the blush out, it's so original with the mirror! ^-^ hehe, <3
    Your eyes are so pretty!! :D
    & the look that you did looks really cute! :D <3 it's a great combination with falsies!(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. @riya aw thank you :) haha once i finish my current tube of pulse perfection mascara i'm definitely going to have a second!

    @yumeko thanks for reading ^^ you're too sweet dear xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally jumped when the mirror poped out. Didn't expect that to happend. Really really cute thoguh!
    I've tried that make up remover but didn't really like it :( But glad that it suits you well!

    Pretty make up you did with the pupa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Bunny ngaw it made me jump too when I first pressed that button! it must have been 10x scarier for me though, cos it was right in front of me LOL

    yeah it's not the best but it's just going to have to do for now

    thanks hun xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the matte blush >.< I'll trawl up stores too searching those blushes~~ aw aw, thanks for share

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Kim Hye Rin naww no worries! thanks for taking the time to read :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I really appreciate your feedback and if there are any questions I'll try my best to reply asap ❤

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...