Thursday, May 31, 2012

Natural Products for Hair Care

Hello everyone! I want to start off by saying thank you for the birthday wishes in my last post :D I'm sorry for trolling hahaha, please forgive me! May is coming to an end wow, half way through the year :O And it's almost winter here in Aus and for you lucky people in the northern hemisphere, you guys are experiencing lovely warm weather. As much as I love winter fashion, I despise the rain because that prevents me from going out most of the time ;__; Anyway, enough about the weather...

In my last post I mentioned hair quite a bit (ghd styler and wigs) and hair is going to be the main focus for this blog post too. Have you thought about whether natural products could be used for your hair... like items that you could find in your pantry? Maybe not? Ahaha that's okay, I haven't actually thought about using something like a piece of fruit for my hair but thanks to this guest post written by Audrey Porterman, I have now been introduced to products which are usually found in the kitchen and can be used for cooking and also for the hair! Curious to find out? Read the post below :)


Natural Products for Hair Care

So you don't have to spend a lot of money to have fabulous hair. While a $400 haircut might make your hair look very stylish, a $40 haircut might do the same job. Likewise, while a $50 bottle of shampoo might make your hair soft and shiny, a few ingredients from your kitchen pantry might be able to do the same job.

There are plenty of products you can make at home to wash, condition, and repair your hair and scalp. You don't have to purchase expensive or exotic ingredients to do so either. Most products can be made with items you already have in your kitchen. Here are a few ideas:

Conditioner

Some conditioners can be made with a single ingredient. For example, you can steep green tea in boiling water then let it cool and pour it over your hair for an easy conditioner. Just let the tea sit in your hair for three minutes before rinsing. You can also pour a beer over your hair and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing. Your hair may smell a bit like green tea or beer, but it will be soft and shiny :)


Other simple conditioners can be made with honey. Try mixing equal parts honey and water and working the mixture through your hair. Rinse until the honey is all gone (may require several rinses...). Instead of water, you can also mix the honey with banana (one banana for one cup honey). Honey also has the added benefit of smelling better than beer!




Source: Flickr


Repair Treatment

Professional restoration treatments can be very pricey, yet they are quite simple to make at
home.

For deep conditioning, try mixing together an egg white, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, and 1/4 cup
yogurt. Work it into your hair and leave it for 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water.

Another great treatment to repair hair and restore shine is a banana avocado mixture. Mash
together a banana, avocado and egg, then add 2 tablespoons of honey, 3 tablespoons of
buttermilk, and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Leave on for 30 minutes then wash out with shampoo. Don't add conditioner because this mix will have already worked to condition your hair and scalp.

Dandruff Control

A flaky scalp can be unsightly and embarrassing. You can easily treat it with some simple
ingredients.

Apple cider vinegar is not only a health elixir, but it's also a natural beauty remedy. Cover your scalp with apple cider vinegar and wrap your head in a towel for an hour to treat dandruff. Wash it out when you're finished. After a few treatments, you should notice a renewed scalp without the flakes.




Source: Flickr


Olive oil or coconut oil is another great remedy. Apply it directly to the scalp and leave it on for the day. Wash out at the end of the night. It's a great moisturizing treatment for your scalp, and it will help with flakes.

Having beautiful hair doesn't have to cost you a fortune. Using some of these simple home
remedies can help you get beautiful hair and scalp.

Do you have any other favorite home remedies for hair care? Tell us your ideas in the
comments!

Audrey Porterman is the main researcher and writer for doctoralprograms.org. Her most recent accomplishment includes graduating from Ohio State, with a degree in business management. Her current focus for the site involves a management phd and marketing phd.


~~~~~


Thank you Audrey, what an interesting post. I used to have a flaky scalp and using anti-dandruff shampoos actually didn't do much for me :( If I had known about these home remedies at the time, I would have given them a try! But gladly it is alright now and I no longer have a flaky scalp... I don't know why it has disappeared haha oh well, I'm happy :) So if anyone does and have a flaky scalp and hasn't successfully found a way to combat it, perhaps a simple home remedy could do the trick.

I don't think I'd ever try pouring beer over my hair hahaha but I wonder if anyone is actually game enough to try that out! Honey is definitely the better alternative - it's bound to leave your hair smelling sweet  ^_^

Questjen of the week:

Would you or have you ever tried home remedies for your hair?


My answer: Never

I honestly prefer to use products that have been designed specifically for the hair with directions of use and whatnot. I don't mind that it has chemicals in it, just as long as it is safe to use and highly recommended! Unless desperate times call for desperate measures... then maybe I would give pantry items a try...


Jen

7 comments:

  1. I've used coconut oil before it's heaps good! I've also tried eggs for some odd reason.. forgot why LOL

    http://www.justplaindelirious.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about coconut oil! It definitely sounds promising
      Haha eggs xD

      Delete
  2. i remember mum used to wash my hair with water and lemon juice as conditioner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that sounds interesting, I wonder how that went :)

      Delete
  3. i never used home remedies. usually because i cbf with the mess hahaha :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I really appreciate your feedback and if there are any questions I'll try my best to reply asap ❤

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...