Saturday, May 5, 2012

Guest Post: When Is It Time to Replace Your Makeup?

Hi everyone! I have a guest post here which was sent to me and written by Sarah Rexman who is the main researcher and writer for bedbugs.org. For this post she has written about how often we should replace our makeup. I actually lack a bit of knowledge when it comes to this (bad beauty blogger right here haha) so it was good to finally be able to know the signs that tell us when to chuck out our cosmetics. I've learnt the hard way many times, especially with some face creams I have used in the past. They would work perfectly well for my skin but after a year later I would develop an allergic reaction to them... and then I'd be too put off to purchase that product ever again... when the only problem was that it past its use by date.

Here is a quick post to let you know the recommended times for keeping your makeup items!

~~~

When Is It Time to Replace Your Makeup?

If you like to keep up with the latest fashions and beauty trends, you may never keep makeup in your bag long enough to ask this question. If you’re like me and you like to keep every eyeshadow and mascara wand until the last application is used, you may need to brush up on expiration guidelines.

Old makeup can be a breeding ground for bacteria and other germs that can cause infection, breakouts, and other problems. Not sure if that mascara you’ve been using everyday for the last several months is still good? Here are some common guidelines for the best “use by” date on common cosmetic items:



(source: Flickr)

Liquid Foundation and Concealer

Replace every six months. If it looks grainy or clumpy, it’s time to replace it – even if it’s only been a couple of months.

Compact Powder and Blush

Replace every six to nine months. Throw out applicators and brushes whenever they start to get dirty. If you are using expensive brushes that are designed to be reused, make sure you wash them well.

Eye Shadow

Replace every three to six months. Eye makeup should be watched carefully, as bacteria spread through this makeup can cause potentially serious infections in the eye. Remember to replace applicators, as well as the shadow.

Eye Liner and Mascara

Replace every three months. If you have an eye infection, replace all makeup, no matter how long you have had it.

Lipstick and Lip Gloss

Replace every 12 months. Keep them in a cool spots to prevent melting.

Nail Polish

Replace every 12 months. If pigments don’t blend after vigorous shaking, it is time to replace the polish. Polish that has become thick should be replaced.

Sunscreen

Replace every six months. If the product starts to separate, appears oily, or has a foul smell, it’s time to replace it.

The above are all guidelines. Some recommendations allow for keeping products longer, and others recommend replacing them sooner. Evaluating the quality of the product can let you know if it’s time to replace an item. You may need to replace an item if it:

Has a foul odor
Develops a different texture
Separates
Hardens
Becomes discolored

Of course, if you become ill or develop an infection, you should also replace your makeup.





(source: Flickr)

Follow these basic guidelines, and you can prevent infection and nasty breakouts on your skin!

Sarah Rexman is the main researcher and writer for bedbugs.org. Her most recent accomplishment includes graduating from Florida State, with a degree in environmental science. Her current focus for the site involves research for her bed bugs website about baby bed bugs.


~~~

Thank you, Sarah! The item that I constantly find myself having to chuck out and replace are nail polishes - it's such a shame when they start getting gluggy and the formula inside starts separating. Sometimes I can't find the same shade again so I no longer have it in my collection :( The worst thing is when you purchase makeup that you want to keep as your HG (holy grail) but it was only limited edition, thus it's rare to repurchase once the product is finished or needs to be chucked out. This is why it's awesome to have back-ups but then again, you need to take into account its shelf-life before you start using it.

Us ladies tend to spend so much on makeup each year to replace finished and use by items - men will never understand this need for us to update our stash!

Questjen of the week number 2 (check previous post for qjen number 1):

 Do you always follow the rules when it comes to replacing your makeup?

My answer: No... *runs away and hides*
 I do try to and now that I am fully aware of the "rules", I will do my best to abide by them! I need to set a better example as a beauty blogger!

Jen

24 comments:

  1. I don't follow the rules either >.< I'm too cheap to throw out my makeup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same lol, and makeup costs so much here compared to the States D:

      Delete
  2. Great post!

    Guidelines has always been around, but agreed. Some L/E products can't be replaced and sometimes it's just too expensive to replace!

    In my opinion, I don't agree with tossing and replacing all eye make-up products used if you have an eye infection. Mascara and liquid eyeliners make sense. But eyeshadows, crayon or pencil eyeshadows can be sanitised by scraping off the complete top layer or sharpening. What do you say?

    :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! It's best to make use of them while they last... but at the same time you'd want to be able to use them for like, years to come xD My pricey makeup products are the ones I tend to use the least haha

      Yeah when I read it I hadn't heard of it before and it never occurred to me to do that. If I knew that I got an eye infection from using eye cosmetics, I would only consider tossing the old items or think back to the last products I used and see whether any of those were a bit.. 'off' i.e. bad odour or weird formula o.O and chuck those out. I couldn't bare to chuck all lol! I agree with the sanitising/disinfecting :) Seems like the sensisible thing to do ^^ Thanks for your comment Tram x

      Delete
  3. I usually throw out cheap makeup but if it's more expensive I usually keep it until I feel it's nasty. I'm really bad a replacing my makeup since I don't remember when I bought it and I don't want to replace it so much :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly the same for me! I feel guilty when I chuck out products when I still think they could be used (despite being past its 'use by' date)

      Delete
  4. Haha I should save this *bookmarks*
    I never pay attention to when I should throw things out.. I just use it till the very end xD So not good >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand haha, even when I hit pan for products I continue using them... so I feel that it's much harder to chuck something out that still has quite a bit of product left!

      Delete
  5. OMG! I am so bad at this!! And my make up collection isn`t even THAT Big compared to many hard core girls we know on the Internet. x) But it`s just so hard! Mascara, I can understand since I use it everyday and one or two at a time. but eyeshadow.. omg I have a million colours! All in palettes that I cannot throw away!

    The hardest thing here for me is nail polish though. Cause I have so many colours, and its like $10 a bottle for like an eternity of uses. Can`t chuck it off after a year :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High five xD I've only chucked out one eyeshadow palette that I had since I was little (originally my mum's, then she gave it to me to play around with lolol) only because the quality sucked/it was chalky :L Eyeshadows rarely lose their pigment/stay power so I never throw them away ><

      Oh yeah of course! And it's applied on the nails which I'm sure won't do TOO much harm if the nail polish is old :/ Skin would be a different story haha. I've honestly never ran out of nail polish before and I've only chucked out cheap $2 ones

      Delete
  6. I am guilty of not not obeying all of these make up rules :/ The eye liner and eye shadow one especially!
    For nail polish, you can always add in a few drops of nail polish thinner when it gets gluggy ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your double 'not' confused my Gerry lol! Maybe I'm just a little illiterate ._. Haha jk
      I do that :) However I have tried it on some nail polishes and they couldn't be revived with it :( Had to chuck out!

      Delete
  7. I should start following these guidelines now.
    usually I chuck out any makeup that looks out of date :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I need to get into the habit of doing so~
      Hardly any of my makeup ever looks out of date though :| I'm also a bit of a hoarder I suppose >.<

      Delete
  8. I dont follow the rules,, but i throw out my items if I feel like it's been opened for a long time :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's good! Better than me at least xD

      Delete
  9. I only toss things when they smell/look weird or different from when I just got them @_@ Unless I start to feel gross about having it around. This usually applies for mascara & lip products. The problem is, many lip products are so scented nowadays, you can't really smell if it has gone bad but they do taste bitter if kept for too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odour is definitely the best sign to know when something is no longer usable :S That's so true about scented lip products! Yeah I know that bitter taste and weird scent that old lipsticks have haha ><

      Delete
  10. This is such a good post!
    I hardly ever throw makeup out unless they look disgusting ;; But I tend not to use them any more if they're too old ... but still, I feel so sad to throw out an entire palette when it's hardly been used :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! Though I'm surprised that I've rarely come across disgusting-looking/smelling old makeup in my collection lol eugh xD I feel the same, especially if the eyeshadows are still pigmented when applied D: And scent wouldn't be a problem because eyeshadows aren't scented haha, so I am less likely to throw out eyeshadows :3

      Delete
  11. This is pretty helpful though I doubt a lot of girls would follow these rules hahaha! :)) I'm pretty bad at keeping track of things! And I hate throwing eyeshadow palettes wtf especially the ones that come in a set of one hundred+++ :/ I heard they can all last a year anyway so why not make the most out of it, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree lolol! I'd actually be surprised to find out if there is a girl who follows all the rules and constantly replaces their makeup =O They'd have to be rich haha ._. Perhaps this is why there are many blog sales out there so they can sell old/used (as well as new) products and the profit made goes towards purchasing new products... ooh. Lol I have a palette of 100 colours too! I'd hate to chuck that out >__< I've decided that those large palettes will stay with me for a long long time, even if that means breaking the rules hehehe. Yes exactly, make the most of everything while you can and while they last ^^

      Delete
  12. Yeah, though some are also lazy when it comes to cleaning brushes haha, so you're good xD

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so helpful :O I don't buy makeup much (in fact, I inherited most of my makeup from my mom O_O) so I basically jsut keep them forever lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I really appreciate your feedback and if there are any questions I'll try my best to reply asap ❤

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...