Saturday, February 25, 2012

Review: Aveeno Tinted Moisturiser and Eye Illuminator

Hi loves, I'm going to be reviewing some new Aveeno products again - two shades of tinted moisturiser and an eye illuminator. You're probably wondering what the eye illuminator is - I'll get to that later on :) As always, my reviews are 100% honest with no influence of whether the item/s were purchased or sent to me :) I am not getting monetary compensation for my review nor was this a requirement - I just wanted to share with you my thoughts and opinions!

L-R: Aveeno Eye Illuminator and Tinted Moisturisers in Fair to light and Medium

So I was sent two shades of tinted moisturisers to review and I'm glad that I was because neither of the shades are accurate to my skin's shade unfortunately :( So I could mix them together to match my skin tone. Fair to light is a tad too light and Medium is a tad too dark! Wish I was one of those shades (fair to light preferably), it would make things much easier hehe.

Firstly I'm going to review the tinted moisturisers:


Aveeno Positively Radiant Tinted Moisturisers - Fair to light and Medium
Price: RRP $22.99 AU each
Size: 75mL
Scent: Slightly salty, not too strong
Texture: Silky smooth



Fair to light swatch



Medium swatch

What Aveeno says about the product:

These are the only tinted moisturisers with clinically proven Active Naturals® Total Soy complex to brighten and even skin tone while providing SPF15 sun protection. 

Natural light-reflecting minerals and lightweight coverage seamlessly blend away imperfections and immediately enhance skin’s natural radiance.


Ingredient/s and their purpose:
  • Soy to reveal skin's natural health and beauty. Soybeans help with evening tone and texture for radiant-looking skin

My thoughts:

I have enjoyed using this tinted moisturiser, it blends quite well however when I had a break from using it and resumed using it again, the texture seemed to have slightly changed. It was although the products inside were separating a bit... like the bottle needed a few good shake for the moisturiser's consistency to become 'normal' again. Some parts of the moisturiser were clumpy and others were too watery. That's the only negative I have to say about this but I can say that it did give me a sheer coverage on may face. I have some swatches to share:


So the first two from the left are the original shades and the third is a mix of both
I reckon the mix of both suits my skin shade best :)

I like how pigmented they look as swatches (just like foundation!) but when applied, it just 'sink's into my skin and doesn't make me look cakey - it is such a natural finish to my complexion!


Here is how my face looks like with nothing on. I experience light redness and hardly have any blemishes/spots but this doesn't mean that I am lucky or advantaged - when I blush, I look even more red x_x


The swatches on my cheek


 Blended in all the swatches and my redness seems less noticeable!


Pros (+) and Cons (-):

+ Oil-free
+ Hypoallergenic
+ Non-comedogenic (won't clog pores)
+ SPF 15 UVA/UVB sunscreen
+ Blends effortlessly
+ Covers redness
+ Does what it claims to do
+ Nice smooth texture feels pleasant on the face
+ Handbag-friendly
+ Pump mechanism is hygienic and has a twist-lock
+ Lid can be unscrewed for all of the product to be used
+ Expiry date is at the base of the bottle
- Shades may be difficult to match with certain skin tones
- Some may not find the 'salty' scent to be pleasant
- Can be pricey for its amount of 75 mL


Repurchase?

I do use tinted moisturisers more than foundations so I can see myself buying more tinted moisturisers... but unfortunately not this one. It has worked well for me but in my opinion, $22.99 is pricey! And I like my tinted moisturisers or any face products to have a more pleasant, sweet scent ^^" The idea of mixing two different shades to match mine completely doesn't appeal to me - that would mean that I have to buy 2 x $22.99 products :( Not good for the purse and more time-consuming. But I would still recommend this, especially if redness is a problem for your skin too.


Aveeno Positively Radiant Eye Illuminator
Price: RRP $19.99 AU each
Size: 15mL
Scent: Slightly salty, not too strong
Texture: Thin, smooth




 Illustrated instructions on the inside



 
What Aveeno says about the product:

Dark circles and dryness around the eyes are key factors that affect your natural radiance.
AVEENO Positively Radiant Eye Illuminator contains an exclusive combination of Active Naturals® Total Soy complex boosted with tone-evening Vitamin B3 and light-diffusing technology to rejuvenate your natural radiance and help you look fresh and luminous.

Ingredient/s and their purpose:
  • Vitamin B3 to rejuvenate natural radiance, helps luminosity and evens tone
  • Refreshes and hydrates under eyes

My thoughts:

I was extremely looking forward to using this product when I received it. Not sure if it's obvious in photos or anything but I do have faint dark circles under my eyes and bags (only really obvious when I smile). Of course by no means was I expecting this product to completely vanish my dark circles etc. but it was like I had a purpose for using this product to see if it would make a difference.

I liked the brush applicator, it made it more easy to apply the serum instead of dipping my fingers into a jar of product. It was easy to squeeze for product to come out although most of the time, lots more product came out than expected.


Soft-bristled brush applicator


A milky-white serum that rubs in and dries clear

So, did it do anything for me? Mm, not a lot however it did do what it claims - made my under eyes refreshed and hydrated. Only when I applied it too close to my bottom lash line I experienced slight irritation to my eyes like a tiny stinging feeling which went away after a few quick blinks. I don't think it had anything to do with the serum, it was due to my carelessness =/ Nothing should ever come that near the eyes!

Don't expect it to decrease your under eye bags or make your dark circles vanish because it simply will not. The serum is made to brighten tired and dull-looking skin so the result you may see is more radiant skin under and around your eyes :) I felt that my skin around my eyes had improved slightly.


Pros (+) and Cons (-):

+ Oil-free
+ Handbag-friendly
+ Not too difficult to squeeze for product
+ Simple twist/push cap
+ Brush applicator has soft bristles
+ Does what it claims
+ Smoothes onto skin very well
+ Feels very light on skin
+ Gives a cooling/refreshing feeling
+ Packaging comes with illustrated, easy-to-follow instructions
- Some may not find the 'salty' scent to be pleasant
- Can be pricey for its amount of 15 mL
- No portion control with squeezing the eye illuminator tube


Repurchase?

I would recommend this for use however I can't see myself forking out $19.99 for another one of these. 15mL may not be much however I reckon this one I have now will last me for a while. Only a tiny, half a pea size of serum is enough for both eye areas I swear! I tend to forget to use this daily too (not that it is a requirement) so I reckon I still have plenty of product inside. I have enjoyed using it and I will surely continue using it :)

~~~

Thanks for reading my review guys! I am still terribly sorry for my lack of blog updates T__T

As my little 'giving back to my readers' thing, I am open to sending out samples of any products that I review, free of charge. If anyone would like a sample jar of Aveeno's tinted moisturiser and/or eye illuminator, don't hesitate to send me an email with your request/s :)

Since I have reviewed Aveeno products before, I'm sure there are a bunch of you are more familiar with the brand now. If you didn't catch my previous review, here's the *link*

A questjen for you:

What are your thoughts on Aveeno products?

Loved? Hated? Which products have you tried?
Please let me know!

22 comments:

  1. I have never tried any Aveeno products because they seem to be more on the expensive side of the range in Priceline and I wasn't willing to fork out that much on a product I haven't heard much about! Thanks for the reviews, I'm looking to buy a tinted moisturiser or BB cream because I want low coverage for uni. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally relate! No worries :) Hope you do find an inexpensive yet good quality tinted moisturiser or BB cream x

      Delete
  2. We have Aveeno over here and I have always looked at it but never really tried it!! The tinted moisturiser sounds good, I wonder if they do that over here? Though it seems a bit pricey for my liking!
    Kitty xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was newly released in Australia around 3-4 months ago so I'm sure it will or has made its way to the UK (Australia are usually always last when it comes to new released makeup products etc!) Yeah the price, I completely understand! xx

      Delete
  3. Wuahh, tinted moisturizers are the most convenient things evarrr! haha I lost mine, it's been a while but I miss having them around :P

    xx tht-christina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, I've loved them ever since I discovered and used them :D

      Delete
  4. Aww Jen! You're so generous with sending us samples :')

    Thank you for the review! The tinted moisturiser looks great, but I agree is so pricey!! $22 is heaps for a tinted moisturiser!

    I've tried Aveeno products before! Their body moisturiser in a tub is so creamy and great for drier skins! ^_^ I don't remember any other products though..

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe ^_^" No one has requested yet though xD
      You're welcome Tram! Thank YOU for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment <3 I definitely wish that skincare/makeup products were cheaper like they are in the US :(
      And thanks for answering this week's questjen ^.^

      Delete
  5. I've never tried Aveeno products but they look interesting... I'm always wary of trying out new skincare products though cos I have sensitive skin so I prefer sticking to what I know definitely works.
    The eye illuminator sounds interesting but $20 for 15mL is pretty pricey... what a shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you had sensitive skin Sue! I do too *high five* Aveeno can be a little hit and miss when I use products on my sensitive skin... once I got a bit of an allergic reaction :/ But some other products were fine so yeah, it really depends :| Such a shame I know!

      Delete
  6. Have yet to try the medium one you sent me! Cant wait to try it out now though ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tinted moisturizer looks pretty good but it's awfully pricey for a drugstore brand. I don't think it's something that I'm going to be getting anytime soon..great job with the review though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rinny :) Yes it definitely has quality but the price... I agree with you. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. thanks for the review! I just found your blog and followed youu~ x

    My Blog ~ xLittleBells

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for dropping by and thanks for the follow ^^ Much appreciated x

      Delete
  9. Wooowww..., this is very nice, i & my girl like it

    if u have time visit n follow my blog
    herry-tan.blogspot.com.. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. aveeno seems a nice brand but the price is a bit high for drugstore, though most things down here are pricey lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing as i have not tried the product yet but after reading this i will definitely place order cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I really appreciate your feedback and if there are any questions I'll try my best to reply asap ❤

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...