Sunday, October 2, 2011

Review: Aveeno Skincare Products

Hi lovelies, hope you're all well. I'm going to review some Aveeno skincare products that I received in my Beauty Conference goodie bag and also some that were sent to me by their PR representative. As always, my reviews are 100% honest with no influence of whether the item/s were purchased or sent to me :) I am not getting monetary compensation for my review nor was this a requirement - I just wanted to share with you my thoughts and opinions!

Before you read my review, it might be best to take note of my skin type as being sensitive and dry, because my experience with these products may be different for those with other skin types:

Aveeno is quite a well-known skincare brand both in Australia and internationally as their products are made in Canada. I've been quite curious to try out their products myself as their range has items that cater for those with sensitive skin (like me). These are the items that I was given the chance to try:

L-R: Body wash, face cleanser, face scrub, body lotion and moisturiser


Aveeno Daily Moisturising Body Wash


Size: 345 mL
Price: RRP $11.54 AU
Scent: sweet, vanilla, honey
Texture: silky smooth, non-sticky

Ingredient/s and their purpose:
• Natural colloidal oatmeal = helps to replenish skin's natural moisture, cleanses and moisturises for visibly healthy looking skin

What this product claims to do:
The creamy, lightly fragranced formula lathers gently then rinses clean, resulting in softer, smoother, healthy-looking skin long after you shower.

My thoughts:
I quite enjoy using this body wash, it's almost like a cleansing milk for my skin because the texture is really smooth and it has that sweet honey/oatmeal scent which is very pleasant. I wouldn't say that this product works wonders but it has left my skin feeling smooth, not incredibly smooth but smoother than washing without this body wash.

I've had no issues with this body wash despite having sensitive skin. I am most sensitive on my face and since I don't ever use body washes on my face (common sense), I did not experience any irritation. Just glad that all of my skin isn't as sensitive as my face or else that would be way more annoying!

Pros (+) and Cons (-):
+ Dermatologist recommended
+ $9.99 RRP is fairly reasonable
+ Pleasant scent that is subtle after wash
+ Smooth, milky texture is desirable for a body wash - lathers well
+ Packaging and flip-top lid is handy for shower use
+ Does what it claims
- Product can be a little pricey for some, especially for 345 mL
- Possible room for improvement by having more functions

Repurchase?
Overall, I really do like this body wash and I probably would consider repurchasing. However I reckon it'll take me a while to finish the bottle I have now since I am trialling various body washes currently xD Normally I wouldn't purchase a body wash for more than $5 (not too fussed with what I use) but maybe this Aveeno one could be an exception. Right not I'm not 100% sure :P


Aveeno Positively Radiant Cleanser


Size: 200 mL
Price: RRP $13.99 AU
Scent: slightly sweet, not too strong
Texture: pearly, smooth, a little thin, non-sticky

One pump

Ingredient/s and their purpose:
• Rich soy extracts brings out skin's natural radiance, helps even out skin tone and texture

What this product claims to do:
Gently lifts away dirt, oil and makeup without over-drying.

My thoughts:
As always, I am skeptical when it comes to using skin care products for my face because I have the most sensitive skin ever! :( Allergic reactions are the worst and they take up to two weeks to go away. Surprisingly this was quite pleasant to use and I didn't experience any irritations or redness after use. To be sure of steering away from irritations, I only use this cleanser once a week maximum which I reckon is good enough to help maintain my sensitive, dry skin. It claims to help even skin tone however I haven't been able to see this occurring since I have started using it.

Pros (+) and Cons (-):
+ Oil-free
+ Hypoallergenic
+ Soap-free
+ Non-comedogenic (won't clog pores)
+ Not too harsh for sensitive skin
+ Pump mechanism is convenient for shower use and has a twist lock
- Unsure about its ability to even skin tone

Repurchase?
I would consider it but I think I would prefer to purchase a face cleanser that is recommended for my skin type. That way I could perhaps use it daily or more often compared to this one.


Aveeno Skin Brightening Daily Scrub




Size: 140g
Price: RRP $13.99 AU
Scent: slightly sweet, not too strong (similar scent as the Positive Radiant Cleanser)
Texture: smooth with soft microbeads

Squeezed out from tube

Ingredient/s and their purpose:
• Moisture-rich soy extracts and gentle microbeads for exfoliation

What this product claims to do:
Gently exfoliates for even tone, texture and clarity to reveal brighter, more radiant skin.

My thoughts:
At first I wasn't really looking forward to trying this because face scrubs are known to be a little harsh on the skin. In the past I haven't had any problems with face scrubs but unfortunately this particular face scrub irritated my skin. During the washing process my skin was okay, in face the microbeads made my skin feel quite smooth with the water but afterwards I experienced dryness, redness and increased skin sensitivity which I am left to suffer for about a week. Ironically this product states that it is gentle enough for sensitive skin.

At the back of the bottle it says that "if you experience dryness or irritation, use less frequently" which confused me a little because usually when one experiences dryness or irritation from using a product, it is best to discontinue use entirely. Reading this makes me assume that it could be common for dryness and/or irritation to occur after using this face scrub. I was only planning to use this once a week maximum but since the bottle tells me to use it less frequently, I may only use this once a  month or less. Actually, based on my experience with it... I could be better off without using this product.

Pros (+) and Cons (-):
+ Oil-free
+ Hypoallergenic
+ Soap-free
+ Non-comedogenic (won't clog pores)
+ Dermatologist recommended for over 60 years
+ Smooth, round microbeads are easily dissolved
- Too harsh for (my) sensitive skin
- Made my face irritated, dry and red
- Unsure about its ability to even skin tone
- A bit pricey for its amount and results achieved

Repurchase?
Sadly no I don't think I would purchase this product, simply because of the effect it had on my skin. I certainly think it's best to purchase a face scrub that won't be too harsh for me.


Aveeno Daily Moisturising Body Lotion


Size: 225mL
Price: RRP $11.02 AU
Scent: fragrance-free
Texture: smooth, non-sticky


Squeezed out from the tube

Ingredient/s and their purpose:
• Natural colloidal oatmeal = helps prevent and protect dry skin providing temporary relief of scaling and chapping associated with dry skin

What this product claims to do:
Relieves and protects dry and irritated skin, moisturises for 24 hours.

My thoughts:
I have quite enjoyed using this product and I love the way it smooths onto my skin. The non-greasy formula is impressive because just a few rubs allows the lotion to absorb really quickly, therefore less time needed to apply this body lotion. It is perfect for my dry and sensitive skin because there is no scent and it intensively moisturises, specially targeting chafed, cracked, or wind burned skin. I don't have any of those but the fact that this body lotion caters for those skin dilemmas, this product must be able to work wonders for those with close-to normal skin, right?

Pros (+) and Cons (-):
+ Clinically proven to be effective
+ Dermatologist tested
+ Non-greasy formula absorbs quickly
+ Non-comedogenic (won't clog pores)
+ No fragrance = better for my skin type
- Unsure about whether or not this can moisturise for a full 24 hours (maybe?)

Repurchase?
It is likely that I would repurchase this product because I have been able to see positive results and I like how it's fragrance free. Don't ask why, I just do - it's my personal preference :)



Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturiser
SPF 15 UVA/UVB Sunscreen


Size: 75mL
Price: RRP $19.99 AU
Scent: slightly sweet, not too strong
Texture: light, thin, subtle sunscreen scent with a slightly salty scent


One pump

Ingredient/s and their purpose:
• Total soy complex and natural light diffusers (no explanation)

What this product claims to do:
To even out skin tone and texture.

My thoughts:
I got this product from the Adelaide Beauty Conference and before I had this product, I had the Aveeno Ultra-calming moisturiser which was supposedly most suitable for sensitive skin but it turned out to be the complete opposite... what a shame. Luckily I was able to get a refund for it because I really wasn't happy with how it was for my face. I think I was allergic to one of the ingredients. But with this product which doesn't specify whether or not it is suitable for sensitive skin and surprisingly it turned out to be better for me than the Ultra-calming one.

I use one pump for my whole face (as pictured above) and I like how easily it glides over my skin when I rub it in. It feels really light on my face which is good for days where I want to go out without having that heavy makeup-feeling on my face. Some moisturisers have a thick consistency and they aren't a joy to have on, especially if you want to put foundation on top of it :S It's good that I can still comfortably put on foundation over this really light moisturiser, so it almost acts like a base :)

Pros (+) and Cons (-):
+ Oil-free
+ Hypoallergenic
+ Non-comedogenic
+ Has SPF protection
+ Handbag-friendly
+ Pump mechanism is hygienic and has a twist-lock
+ Lid can be unscrewed for all of the product to be used
+ Expiry date is at the base of the bottle
- Does not mention its claim to moisturise skin
- Some may not find the 'salty' scent to be pleasant
- May not be suitable for all skin types, no specification
- Can be pricey for its amount of 75 mL

Repurchase?
I for one am very picky when it comes to face products - I'll only use and buy what is aimed for my skin type so it's unlikely that I will purchase a bottle after I'm done with the one I have.

SOOO that's all I have for my Aveeno skincare products review, I hope it was informative and perhaps useful in case any of you guys wanted to purchase a few of your own. I'm very glad that I've had the privilege to try some of their products. I wish I could give you all the chance to try them too haha! This is what I can offer...

I'd be more than happy to give out sample jars free of charge of any of the 5 items I've reviewed, if anyone is interested. If you are then please let me know via email at jlyxoxo@gmail.com and we can discuss further.

Here's my questjen of the week for you guys:

What skincare products/brands do you use?

Do you use drugstore brands or high-end? Does it matter or make a difference for your skin?

My answer: I've only used drugstore products and brands like Aveeno, Vaseline, Nivea, Neutrogena etc.
I want to try high-end skincare products and brands such as Shiseido but I just don't feel the need to fork out hundreds of dollars for skincare. I know it may be worth it but I don't know... maybe in the future when I have better income xD No but seriously, I reckon drugstore brands work well and they're better for the purse! And I only need the basics - I haven't started using anti-wrinkle or any anti-ageing products etc. yet, even though apparently it's more effective the earlier you start using it. Don't take my word for it though!

13 comments:

  1. Great review hun! <3 I use Tony Moly and mostly Asian skin care items :D

    I tried using Aveeno before but I seemed not to like it but I think I should give it another try! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really useful and detailed! Will take what you said into account! Hope you visit back :)
    Izzy xo
    www.swampedinflowers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry that the products didn't work out too well for you lol i love aveeno, i always recommend it to our customers. i guess it's just based on personal preference & skin type =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mee too! I have hypersensitive skin >.< but I think skincare without parabens, fragrance and preservatives will do <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review love!
    I have the scrub. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i dont really use a lot of skincare products ever since i ran out of my Lancome stuff XD
    I use Cetaphil moisturiser and facial cleanser because that brand doesn't use harsh chemicals.
    I use this Hello Kitty apple facial scrub that actually works reaaallllyy well with me :D
    And I recently im trying out the Biore Marshmallow Whip facial cleanser aswell.

    *Needs to buy new toner and serums*

    My mum uses Shiseido @_@ her face sunscreen that is like the height of my index finger was like $50. *dies*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I've used Aveeno beore (the body wash) and it worked great on my skin~ My sister uses the hand cream and it worked amazing on her super dry skin too.. though i do have issues with the price of the product & how much is actually in it :/

    I use any skincare products (depends on what i have available/if i remember to do any at all!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have always wanted to try aveeno but they aren't locally available in my country. :/

    i use both high end and drugstore products. whatever works haha! :) thanks for your honest review on the products dear. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. This is a very thorough review. I love Aveeno products and have repurchased many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great review, makes me wanna purchase some of their products :D
    I use Japanese products because they suit my skin the best~
    aquajuju toner & moisturiser, some kose foaming cleaser and shiseido sunscreen
    i use way too much of my toner ;__;

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for the detailed review ^-^.
    I've always wanted to use The Aveeno Daily Moisturiser, but I told myself I have to finish all my skincare products by the end year and then I will buy new products next year hehe.

    I use Nivea, vasline, Korean & Japanese skincare products.
    I love face mask *-* hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow kinda just randomly stumbled upon your blog and youre from ADL! Iam too haha cool finding bloggers where iam. Ive tried Aveeno hand cream before and to behonest its not that great it works but it didnt seem like anything special

    I use Jurlique skincare during the night and it seems to cater to my skin. During the morning i use nivea young and that seems to work too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review!

    At the moment I use a cleanser, toner and moisturizer from Liz Earle, exfoliator from OleHenriksen, two facial masks from Artisan Naturals annnd eye cream from Mirra. I love using natural / organic products.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I really appreciate your feedback and if there are any questions I'll try my best to reply asap ❤

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...